Kenilworth Homestead and surrounds has a rich indigenous and colonial history.
The current homestead building was commissioned by Isaac Moore in the 1860s, and built by 2 cabinet makers from the Orkney Islands. Made of solid red cedar (right down to the rafters in the roof), it was hand milled on the property from the abundant supply of cedar trees. The roofing iron was shipped from Redcliffe in England, and is still in place to this day. The old hay barn and horse boxes were built it 1901, and are still in use today for weddings and other functions. Over the years the homestead has extended a warm welcome to thousands of guests, campers and dignitaries including Lord Lamington, Lord Chelmsford, The Swedish ambassador to Australia, and many others.
Today Kenilworth Homestead is managed by Higherground Group Pty Ltd A.B.N. 42 128 016 393 and is one of south east Queensland’s best outdoor education, function and family camping sites.
On most weekends you are welcome to camp in the grounds of this historic part of the Mary Valley. Tents, Caravans, Campers, Motor Homes all are welcomed at the Homestead.